***Elena***

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

CHOP

On Sunday I went to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. I volunteer there every Sunday from 12-3pm, working in Child Life. I am stationed in the play room on 5th floor West, where they have a ton of toys, board games, and art supplies. The purpose of Child Life is to entertain the patients there while keeping their mind off of their illnesses.

Today, I cleaned and organized the cabinets when I first got there. When I first, arrive, I get a print-out of the patients on my wing. After I finished cleaning, I went to the nurses and asked if there was anyone in particular that I should see. One nurse suggested that I see one of her patients. I went to the girl's room, and we went to the play room, where we made bead necklaces and bracelets, and I helped her with a snow globe she was making.

I love volunteering at CHOP because it seems to really brighten the lives of the patients. I was extremely impressed with CHOP when I first began working, becuase of their dedication to the overall health of their patients, not only medical but also emotional. There is a Playstation 2 in every single room, and a place where the patients can check out movies and games. Everything they do seems to really make a difference in the lives of the children there.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home